(GS PAPER-1, CULTURE
SOURCE, The Hindu)
What is Culture?
- Culture is a way of life that includes food to dance from literature to architecture.
What is Multiculturalism and Pluralism:-
- On one hand Multiculturalism refers to the coexistence of diverse religious, ethnic or cultural groups within a society and on the other cultural pluralism refers to a phenomenon where minority groups participate fully in the dominant society, but while maintaining their cultural differences.
What is the feature of Multiculturalism:-
- Composite culture
- Culture beyond compartments
- Constant dialogue
- Mutual change of Ideas
- Interrogation of settled belief.
Why compartmentalization in indian society?
- Absence of solid-state civil society engagements in pedagogy.
- Segregation at the workplace is based on caste, religion etc.
- Lack of interpersonal relationships in society.
- Lack of intercultural relations.
- Politics based on religion.
There is a stark difference between south india and north india according to Pew Research:-
- In several aspects south differs from the north not by a small, but a substantial margin to the rest of India but huge in which are like superiority of one’s own religion, having friends and neighbours from other religions, preventing inter-religious marriages, the importance of being a Hindu and speaking Hindi to be a true Indian, prohibition of beef.