The Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill, 2021 was introduced to amends the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi Act, 1991.
- Restriction on laws passed by the Assembly: The Bill provides that the term “government” referred to in any law made by the Legislative Assembly will imply Lieutenant Governor (LG).
- Rules of Procedure of the Assembly: Rules, made by legislature, must be consistent with the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Lok Sabha.
- Inquiry by the Assembly into administrative decisions: The Bill prohibits the Legislative Assembly from making any rule to enable itself or its Committees. The Bill provides that all such rules made before its enactment will be void.
- Assent to Bills: LG to reserve certain Bills passed by the Legislative Assembly for the consideration of the President.
- LG’s opinion for executive actions: all executive action by the government must be taken in the name of the LG. (From PRS India)
Issues in Bill:
- Government of Delhi will act as a vestigial organ.
- Lieutenant governor will have all the powers.
- All actions are in the name of L.G.
- Assembly can’t make its own rules if found inconsistent then, rules will be null and void.
- Going back to the era where we have started.