- WHO says-> that there are more than 10 million active TB cases in the country.
- Tuberculosis is a social disease spreads through close touch, overcrowding and malnutrition
- It’s effects are more on the poor and the marginalised than others.
- The long-drawn multi-drug treatment resulted into poor compliance and drug-resistance, which hamper recovery.
- India has set an ambitious target of TB-free India by 2025
What we must do
- community-driven efforts to address social problems or social diseases.
- E.g nationwide toilet coverage has increased from 39 per cent (2014) to 100 percent (2019).
- What india should learn from covid-19
- Since TB spreads through droplets of infected persons i.e. in the close contact of persons which is similar to the COVID-19
- physical distancing can reduce disease transmission.
- Patients with TB
- must wear a mask to prevent the spread
- wear a mask for self-protection.
- Early diagnosis and treatment are the way to success.
- instant case notification will help in better case tracking, understanding and monitoring.