Context:- Akash surface to air missile, a new generation missile, was successfully flight tested on Wednesday by the DRDO from an integrated test range off the Odisha coast. One more missile is being tested and this is an indigenously developed low weight man portable anti tank guided missile.
About Akash Missile System:-
- It is a medium-range mobile surface-to-air missile (SAM) system developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- The Akash missile system can target aircraft up to 50–80 km.
- An Akash missile system has Akash battery which comprises a single Rajendra 3D passive electronically scanned array radar.
- Akash is a surface-to-air missile with an intercept range of 30 km.
- One of the unique feature of this missile system is that it can be launched from mobile platforms like battle tanks or wheeled trucks.
- The missile is supported by the indigenously developed radar called ‘Rajendra’