Context:- covid-19 expose the state of rural health infrastructure by devastating the rural population, its social and economic infrastructure
Facts about rural health infra
- Rajya Sabha suggest that 29,337 primary health centres (PHCs) are required in the rural areas of the country
- One PHC for 25 villages in India
- 5,624 community health centres (CHCs) against the requirement of 7,322
- a shortfall of 81.8% specialists at CHCs
- India has eight hospital beds for a population of 10,000 people
- According to WHO 71% deaths are because of non-communicable disease.
What is the need to be done in order to save rural population:-
- governments should engage with all kinds of rural community organisations such as panchayats, gram sabha, notified area committees, municipal bodies and nongovernmental organisation
- If our SHCs work effectively, there will be less pressure on PHCs.
- All stakeholder approach
- stakeholders to revisit and refurbish our health infrastructure in the rural areas.
- The chain of SHCs, PHCs and CHCs can very well take care of the multiple health needs
- should have the health data of people in their respective areas.